Fort Vendenburg, Dutch Komenda
Preserved as a ruin, Fort Vendenburg is located in Dutch Komenda in the Central Region.
Fort Vredenburgh was a fort on the Dutch Gold Coast established in 1682. On the same site, a trading post was established by the Dutch around 1600, but abandoned soon afterwards. In 1687, the English Fort Komenda was built nearby. The fort was occupied between 1781 and 1785 by the British. In 1872, the fort was ceded to the United Kingdom, together with the entire Dutch Gold Coast.
From 1659/1660 Dutch Faktorei ; November 1681 capture and destruction of the buildings by the locals ; 1663 English trading post , but later abandoned because of hostilities of the natives ; 1688 Dutch, beginning with the building of the fort ; January 1782 Fort of British conquered and demolished 1785 repossession by the Dutch ( in exchange for Sekondi ) , reconstruction of the fort ; 1872 British, due contracts with the Dutch.