Fort Vernon, Prampram "Gbugbla" in Ga (Greater Accra Region, Ghana)
Prampram was the site of a small British trading post Fort Vernon (1740), and the Danish fort built in 1736, at Old Ningo. The remains of the old harbour, and even less remains to be seen of Fort Fredensborg in Old Ningo.
Fort Vernon, Prampram - The fishing community of Prampram, in the Greater Accra Region, is home to the ruins of Fort Vernon. A small English trading fort, Fort Vernon was built in 1742, out of some of the cheapest materials – rough stones and swish. It was abandoned approximately in 1816, after the abolishment of Trans Atlantic slave trade, during the war with France. whence it fell into ruins.
Restoration works were supposedly carried out in the 1970s, and the fort subsequently served as a rest house for a period of time.
1740 restoration of a British trading outpost ; later destroyed by the Danes ; entirely in rubble before 1783 ; 1806 British construction of a fortress hill , but in 1811 crumbling and almost rubble again, due to bad construction material; left in 1820 ; Occupied again in 1831 by the British ; 1844 abandoned ; later only visible ruins, and used after Ghana`s independence partly as guesthouse. The site may be visited today. Nearby, in Old Ningo, you`ll find remains of the Danish Fort Fredensborg.
2 Barnes Road, Adabraka, Accra
P.O. Box GP 3343, Accra
Telephone: +233-302 221633/221635
Fax: +233-302 222401
E-mail Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
See also below location map of Prampram.